The first of 2017’s three issues of IGS News—the official newsletter of the International Geosynthetics Society—has been released. Two of the highlights include the 2018 call for award nominations and the invitation for chapters to submit bids to host the 12th International Conference on Geosynthetics, which will be held in 2022.
While both of these items take a long-term view, they epitomize one of the most important aspects of the IGS’s culture: being mindful of the long-term impact of the work performed by geosynthetics professionals.
DOWNLOAD IGS NEWS VOL 33, ISSUE 1 (PDF)
2018 IGS AWARD NOMINATIONS
The IGS Award is one of the highest honors bestowed upon IGS members. The current call addresses contributions to the field of geosynthetics from 2014 –2017, with awards to be issued in 2018.
In writing about the opportunity, IGS Awards Committee Chair Dr. Neil Dixon writes, “The IGS Awards recognize the achievements completed and/or the validity of which have been demonstrated during the four-year period preceding the year of the Award (i.e., 1st January 2014 to 31st December 2017). … For example, an award can be given for design and construction of a structure; publication of a technical document (e.g. paper, book, article, manual); completion of a research program; and development of new products and techniques.”
Two types of awards seek nominations:
- The Young IGS Member Achievement Award (for IGS Members who are less than 36 years of age on 31 December 2017)
- The IGS Award
Nominations are due to the IGS Secretariat (IGSsec@geosyntheticssociety.org) no later than 31 January 2018. Award winners will be announced during the 11th International Conference on Geosynthetics (16 – 21 September 2018, Seoul, Korea).
12 ICG BIDS INVITED
IGS Secretary Elizabeth Peggs (IGSsec@GeosyntheticsSociety.org) has officially announced the Call for Proposals to Host/Co-Host the 12th International Conference on Geosynthetics. The event will be held in 2022.
“If your chapter would like to submit a proposal please contact IGSsec@GeosyntheticsSociety.org for a set of written guidelines,” Peggs writes. “Please appoint one chapter official to represent your chapter in the application process.”
The deadline for formal proposal submissions for 12 ICG is 14 July 2017.
Proposal presentations will be made during the IGS Council meetings at GeoAfrica 2017 on 8 October 2017. The successful proposal will be selected by vote of the IGS Council.
ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS, IGS NEWS VOL 33 ISSUE 1
- The Young IGS Members Committee met Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 in Orlando and discussed committee organization, acitivies, and ways in which to incorporate young members in various IGS technical committees and events
- The IGS video on the sustainability of geosynthetics has been translated into German and Portuguese. This video is available for streaming/sharing.
- GeoAfrica 2017 has expanded the methods by which registration can be paid for. The conference can now accept credit card payment. Registration is open.
- Upcoming conferences that have been granted IGS auspices include: Transportation Geotechnics and Geoecology (St. Petersburg, Russia, 17 – 19 May 2017); EurAsian Geotextiles Symposium (Beijing, 7 – 8 June 2017); GeoMEast 2017 (Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypyt, 15 – 19 July 2017)
- IGS North America has announced its 2017 photo contest winners
- Case studies from NAUE, TeMa, and Platipus Earth Anchoring Systems
- And more