The International Geosynthetics Society’s Technical Committees on Soil Reinforcement (TC-R) and Barrier Systems (TC-B) will gather IGS members and affiliated geotechnical professionals in Barcelona 20 – 23 January 2020 for back-to-back, high-level workshops. Revered international figures headline this 2nd installment in the co-located Soil Reinforcement and Barrier Systems Workshops.
High-level discussion, significant interaction with the attendees, and potential white papers are part of this presentation-and-debate style event. The gathering, which is part of the International Geosynthetics Society’s series of TC Workshops around the world, provides an incredible opportunity to contribute to the biggest geosynthetic engineering topics of the day.
THE BARCELONA WORKSHOPS
The co-located events each include two days of programming. They will be held back to back, with the Soil Reinforcement Workshop leading on 20 – 21 January and the Barrier Systems Workshop following on 22 – 23 January.
Attendees may register for one or both of the workshops.
All instruction and discussion will be held at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC, School of Civil Engineering). Additional off-site optional gatherings are being planned as well.
The technical programs for each workshop are divided into four half-day sessions to provide ample time for high-quality presentations and open discussion.
TC-R Program (20 – 21 January)
- Reliability based design and analysis of geosynthetic reinforced structures — Lead: Richard Bathurst, USA
- Geosynthetic encased columns — Lead: Erol Güler, Turkey
- Serviceability Limit States: analyses, design, specification — Lead: Pietro Rimoldi, Italy
- Advancements, Developments and State of the Practice for International Codes of Geosynthetics in Reinforced Soil Structures — Lead: Robert Lozano, USA
TC-B Program (22 – 23 January)
- Re-Cap of Munich 2018 Workshop, Geomembrane Puncture Protection, Welding of Geomembranes, Digital Quality Control Systems — Leads: Siamak Paulson, Australia & Boyd Ramsey
- Advancements with Geosynthetic Clay Liners — Leads: Craig Benson, USA & Gemmina Di Emidio, Belgium
- Performance and Durability of Geomembranes — Leads: Kerry Rowe, Canada & Malek Bouazza, Australia
- Case Histories of Usual and Innovative Barrier Applications — Leads: Pete Atchison, United Kingdom & Jonathan Shamrock, New Zealand
COST OF WORKSHOPS
- GeoReinforcement Workshop 180€/person*
- GeoBarrier Workshop 180€/person*
- BOTH Workshops 340€/person*
* Reflects discount for IGS members. Please see registration page for non-member pricing. Each workshop booking includes lunch and two coffee breaks for each day of education.
The conference has arranged a discounted rate at the Balmoral Hotel, +34 932 17 87 00. Price: 102€ BB (Upgrade +25€ = 127€). The hotel is 25 minutes from UPC by a direct bus. The discounted rate includes breakfast and taxes. City tax is not included: 1.21 EUR per person and night.
For more information and to make a booking, please email Ms. Ariana Bosch at email@example.com with the following reservation code: “IGS-H55X1115406—M12”
The IGS has opened sponsorship opportunities for the event. Notepads, writing utensils, banners, bags, flyers, gifts, and other sponsorships are available. Visit the conference page on the IGS website for more details.