During Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 in Orlando, the Technical Committee – Geosynthetics from ASCE’s Geo-Institute will hold a special working committee meeting on Design Frameworks for Geosynthetic-Reinforced Walls. The gathering is certain to draw attention, promoting discussion at the conference and providing potential and highly beneficial input to future designs.
Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 takes place 12 – 15 March 2017 in Orlando, Florida. The March 14 TC-Geosynthetics session will be held at the Hyatt Regency Orlando and will feature prominent speakers and time for discussion with the attending committee members.
The committee meeting will involve both working and planning components. Non-committee members who will be in Orlando may be interested to know what is being discussed and to learn through the Geo-Institute how to get involved in Orlando or at future committee meetings.
The working portion of the geosynthetic-reinforced walls framework discussion will be held 6:45 – 10:30 pm. Dr. Jorge Zornberg (Immediate Past President, International Geosynthetics Society) will provide introductory comments. The proposed schedule to follow:
- 7:00 – 7:30 pm: Dr. Richard Bathurst (Queen’s University, Canada and Royal Military College)
Simplified K-Stiffness Framework
- 7:30 – 8:00 pm: Discussion on Simplified K-Stiffness Framework by TC-Geosynthetics
- 8:00 – 8:30 pm: Dr. Dov Leshchinsky (University of Delaware)
Limit Equilibrium Design Framework by TC-Geosynthetics
- 8:30 – 9:00 pm: Discussion on Limit Equilibrium Design Framework
- 9:00 – 9:30 pm: Barry Christopher (Consultant) and Tony Allen (Washington DOT)
- 9:30 – 10:00 pm: Discussion of AASHTO/FHWA Framework by TC-Geosynthetics
- 10:00 – 10:30 pm: Closing Thoughts and Actions
- Possible products from the Working Meeting
Following the conclusion of the working portion of the meeting, TC-Geosynthetics members will focus on planning initiatives through 11:30 pm. These areas will include long-term points of interest as well as housekeeping matters for summarizing recent committee work, discussion of activities at the conference, work with young members, and so forth.
Learn more about the TC-Geosynthetics and the Geo-Institute at the Institute’s website.
Learn more and register for Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 on the event website.