Two hydraulics events are coming to New Orleans, Louisiana in November 2017 thank to a technical committee of the International Geosynthetics Society. The engineering professional development gathering will consist of two independent but complementary hydraulics events: a full-day think tank (November 7) followed by two days of technical presentations on coastal and river protection (November 8 – 9).
All hydraulics events will take place at the Renaissance Pere Marquette New Orleans in the historic French Quarter. Rooms are available at $149/night. Reservations Toll Free: +1 877 622 3056. Reservations Local Phone: +1 504 525 1111.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR THE THINK TANK AND COASTAL & RIVERBANK PROTECTION EVENTS
Sponsorship and exhibiting opportunities are also available.
HYDRAULICS EVENTS IN NOLA: THINK TANK
On November 7, the IGS Technical Committee on Hydraulics (TC-H) will hold a high-level Geohydraulic Experts Think-Tank.
The $100 registration includes a breakfast break, lunch, coffee break, and evening reception.
“This discussion will bring together some of the top contributors in geohydraulics community to strategize about the path forward on [three key topics],” the IGS writes in its event promotion.
Topic 1: Geosynthetic Filtration – Terminology and Practice
- Decoding different filtration application types and considering a publication/tech note to guide users
Topic 2: The Use of Air as a Permeant to Measure Geosynthetic Hydraulic Performance
- Methods, theory and applications
Topic 3: Estimates of Long-Term Hydraulic Flow
- Methods and measurements, meeting related design needs, project specific vs. general measurements, etc.
Some of the primary considerations that the think tank participants will tackle include technical consensus vs. continuing technical needs, educational efforts, and potential publications.
Selected individuals will be requested to serve as facilitators to foster discussion and interaction.
HYDRAULICS EVENTS IN NOLA: COASTAL & RIVER PROTECTION
The hydraulics events continue November 8 – 9, when a larger gathering (Geosynthetics for Coastal & River Protection) is held. Worth up to 16 PDHs. Cost: $650 (IGS Members), $670 (Non-Members). Includes coffee and lunch breaks.
The two-day engineering seminar will focus on state-of-practice design and construction for coastal and river protection in North America. The technical sessions will explore a strong range of technologies available to address hydraulic management, and the sessions will be followed by design examples, case histories, and a panel discussion.
Instructors will address design criteria, methods, and codes; and, they will provide guidance for the evaluation of geosynthetic product performance and selection.
Coastal and River Protection Topics:
- State of Coastal & River Protection in North America
- Protection Design for Coastal and River Protection – an Overview
- Geosynthetics for Erosion & Scour Control
- Design Methods & Codes for Erosion Control
- Design Methods & Codes for Drainage
- Design Methods/Codes for Filtration
- Measuring Geosynthetic Performance: Filtration
- Measuring Geosynthetic Performance: Drainage
- Measuring Geosynthetic Performance: Erosion Control