The preliminary schedule for Sardinia 2017 has been released. The Sardinia Symposium is a long-running international series of waste management and affiliated landfill-related. The biennial event is, in fact, celebrating its 30th anniversary.
Geosynthetics will be found throughout the expansive program, but some of the immediate highlights are noted below.
Sardinia 2017 will be held 2 – 6 October 2017 at the Forte Village Resort, Santa Margherita di Pula, Italy.
SARDINIA 2017 SESSION E3, LANDFILL LINERS PERFORMANCE
- Performance and durability aspects related to the use of geosynthetics in capping systems – D. Cazzuffi, D. Gioffré, P. G. Recalcati (IT)
- Geomembrane integrity surveys – Difference between US and EU concepts – V. Hruby, S. Barrie (SK)
- Influence of the addition of bentonite in alternative mixtures for CCL purpose of landfill – L.A. Martins, K.M.W. Rebelo, Y.G. Cunha, P.J.M. Pires (BR)
- Experimental evaluation of strain concentrations in HDPE geomembranes due to scratches – J. Andresen, E. Kavazanjian (US)
SESSION F1, IWWG WORKSHOP: ENGINEERED NANOMATERIALS IN WASTE
The International Waste Working Group will hold an engineered nanomaterials workshop, which includes a unique, geomembrane-focused presentation:
- Landfilling of engineered nanomaterial (ENM) containing products: potential ENG-geomembrane interactions – N.D. Berge, J.R.V. Flora, G. Brar, A. Alsharaballi, C.E. Pierce (US)
This is one of a group of nanomaterial-related presentations in the session.
IWWG describes the session as such:
It is critical to develop appropriate end-of-life management strategies for discarded materials and/or products that contain engineered nanomaterials (ENM) to ensure human and/or environment exposure is minimized. Significant knowledge and data gaps associated with the fate of ENMs incorporated in consumer products in waste management processes (e.g. landfilling, incineration, recycling) exist and limit our current ability to develop such strategies. The purpose of this workshop is to highlight currently existing knowledge associated with ENM fate in waste management processes, potential implications associated with ENM disposal, challenges associated with conducting ENMbased research in waste environments,and research needs.
Other sessions and topics include:
- Landfill cover systems
- Landfill siting and environmental considerations
- Leachate management
- Anaerobic digestion
Learn more about Sardinia 2017 at the event website.