In recent years, engineering societies and conferences have wisely put greater emphasis on younger participants in their fields. Geotechnical engineering experienced a substantial growth in materials innovation (e.g., geosynthetics) and project scopes over the past 50 years, and much of that growth was based on the work of engineers now retired or near retirement or who have moved into different development roles. The International Geosynthetics Society supports its young members through special symposia at major events, a major committee to liaise with chapters and the IGS Council, and now through the first IGS Young Members Committee Photo Contest.
Online entry is open through June 29.
YOUNG MEMBERS COMMITTEE PHOTO CONTEST
The photo contest has been designed to promote young members of the International Geosynthetics Society and exemplary uses of geosynthetic materials and applications through visual storytelling. The contest is open to international or chapter members of the International Geosynthetics Society, who will be younger than 36 years of age on 31 December 2018. Entrants may be asked to verify their membership and age by the Young Members Committee.
HOW TO ENTER
Submissions should include:
- Name and affiliation of the entrant
- IGS Member number
- A maximum of 3 photos can be submitted per entrant.
- Photos should be in a JPG format, each no larger than 5 MB.
- They should be original pictures taken by the entrant since 2015, which have not previously been submitted to another IGS Photo competition.
- A photo title and credit must be included with each picture sent.
- Photos must be sharp, well focused, and not enhanced in any way. They must clearly demonstrate or represent geosynthetic materials or technologies in use, without product branding.
- Entrants must give IGS the rights to publish the pictures on all its platforms (e.g., newsletters, websites, social media, etc.).
DEADLINE: 29 June 2018. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
The best photos will be shortlisted by a judging panel selected by the IGS Young Members Committee. Judges will not be allowed to enter the contest.
These photos will be subject to a public vote on the Young IGS’s Facebook page to determine the winner. Details will be announced once the submission period closes.
The best photograph will be awarded at the 11th International Conference on Geosynthetics in Seoul.
For questions about the IGS Young Members Photo Contest please contact IGSsec@GeosyntheticsSociety.org. To learn more about IGS Young Members Committee, visit https://www.geosyntheticssociety.org/committees/young-members-committee/.