The 3rd Pan-American Conference on Geosynthetics (GeoAmericas 2016) convenes in Miami, Florida April 10 – 13 at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel. This is the first time the event will be held in the United States. Brazilian geoengineering solutions are strongly represented at the event.
Brazil-based geosynthetics manufacturers and consulting engineers will be a significant part of the proceedings, including:
ABC Tecnologias, BGTECH, COMEP Indústria e Comércio Ltda., Engepol Geossintéticos Ltda., Geo Soluções, HUESKER, IGV Engenharia, Maccaferri do Brasil Ltda., MacService Serviços de Engenharia, NeoPlastic, Nortene Plásticos Ltda., Ober S/A, Roma Geosynthetics, TDM Brasil
Research, academic institutions, and industry organizations include:
Federal Center of Technological Education of Minas Gerais (CEFET-MG), Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, UENF – ‘Darcy Ribeiro’ State University of Northern Rio de Janeiro, PUC – RIO, UFRJ / COPPE / PEC, Universidade de Brasilia, Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Universidade de São Paulo
(NOTE: Many of these companies and institutions have contributed stories on geoengineering solutions to Geosynthetica’s Portuguese-language, Brazil market publication: Geosynthetica.net.br.)
GeoAmericas 2016 presentations from Brazil-based experts include:
- The Application of Geocells in Latin America – Fernando Lavoie, Ober S/A
- Experimental Study of the Mechanical Behavior of a Clayey Soil with the Insertion of Fine Crushed Polyethylene Terephthalate – Nathalia Louzada, PUC-Rio
- Use of Geosynthetics in Building Green Roofs: Analysis of Water Holding Capacity – Thiago Louzada, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte
- Bearing Capacity of Helical Anchors Embbeded in Sand Reinforced with Geosynthetics – Charles Chaves, UFRN
- Numerical Analysis of Reinforced Soil Retaining Walls under Working Stress Conditions – Seyedhamed Mirmoradi, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
- Non-conventional Road Design for Heavy Traffic Load in Soft Soils – André Silva, Huesker
- Procedures to Model Assemblies Made of Geotubes Using Plaxis – Thayza Teixeira, Federal Center of Technological Education of Minas Gerais (CEFET-MG)
- Evaluation of Geomembranes Degradation Aged in the Laboratory and Exposure to Weathering –Leandro Santos, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Effects of Soil Confinement and Elevated Temperature in Tensile Behavior of Geosynthetics – Fagner Franca, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte
- Woven Geotextile Nonconventional Creep Test Performed with Static Puncture Test Geosynthetic – José Luiz Dias Filho, Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense
- Performance of 23m-High Wall with Polyester Geogrids and Terramesh System Facing through the Monitoring of Deformations – Emerson Ananias, MacService Serviços de Engenharia Ltda.
- Design of a Calculation Methodology and Numerical Simulations Applied in Bearing Capacity Improvement of Geocell-Reinforced Soils – Jose Orlando Avesani Neto, Universidade de São Paulo
- Study of Flow through Mechanical Damages in PVC Geomembranes under High Hydraulic Heads – Lucia Isabel Davila Cardona, Universidade de Brasilia
Learn more at www.geoamericas2016.org.