The International Geosynthetics Society North America Chapter will hold its next round of leadership elections 3 – 27 January 2017. IGS North America members in good standing will be able to cast their ballots online.
This election is perhaps the group’s highest profile and most important election. IGS North America has made many moves to advance its standing in providing education in recent years, including hosting the GeoAmericas 2016 conference in Miami in April. It was the largest of the quadrennial GeoAmericas events to date, with more than 1100 taking part.
Furthermore, the organization has made other substantial changes on the path to reinvigorating itself. It officially changed its identity from the North American Geosynthetics Society to IGS North America, established a board-appointed liaison member, and following the departure of long-time executive director Dave Suits IGS-NA appointed new management (Minerva, which managed GeoAmericas 2016).
IGS NORTH AMERICA ELECTIONS
At stake in the early 2017 IGS North America elections are open positions for President-Elect, Treasurer, and three Vice Presidents.
Uniquely, IGS North America gives members three equally-weighted votes to cast for VP, which allows voters to give more than one vote to a single-candidate. The top vote getters will earn their spots on the Board of Directors.
But perhaps more unique (for an IGS-related election) is the presence of two President-Elect nominees. Many professional society elections operate with single-candidate presidential contests. In January, IGS-NA members will choose between two candidates.
- John S. McCartney, Ph.D., P.E., Associate Professor, University of California San Diego
- James A. (Jay) McKelvey, III, P.E., D.GE
- Ranjiv Gupta, Ph.D., P.E., Project Engineer, Geosyntec Consultants
- John Allen, PE, Technical Services Manager, CETCO
- Kristof Fabian, Ph.D., DGE, PE, Peng, Associate Engineer, ADAMS Consultants
- Jie Han, Ph.D., PE, F.ASCE, Professor, University of Kansas
- Bruno Herlin, P.Eng., Product Manager, Terrafix Geosynthetics Inc.
- Marco Isola, Ph.D., P.E., Senior Engineer, Maccaferri
- Lin Li, Associate Professor, Jackson State University
- Timothy D. Stark, Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Robert B. Wallace, P. Eng, PE, Principal Engineer, AECOM
IGS-NA has published a candidates biographies sheet (PDF).
Learn more about IGS North America at www.igs-na.org. Learn more about the overall IGS at www.geosyntheticssociety.org.