The International Geosynthetics Society (IGS) Sustainability Committee has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) on the creation of a sustainability benefit calculator for geosynthetic materials. The project intends to create a transparent, useful web-based tool for design engineers, site owners, regulators, governmental officials, general contractors, and the general public.
Submissions should be emailed to the IGS Secretariat, Elise Oatman (IGSsec@GeosyntheticsSociety.org). Submissions must be supplied no later than 30 September 2022 to receive full consideration.
ABOUT THE SUSTAINABILITY BENEFIT CALCULATOR
The goal of the project is the development of a user-friendly software package and website/page format that achieves the following goals:
- Presents these benefits in an organized fashion
- Offers numerical calculations and estimates of the quantity/value of the benefits of geosynthetics to the environment and sustainability, such as, comparing the carbon footprint of older construction methods and materials with a similar modern constructions utilizing geosynthetics
- Allows user-controlled modification of assumptions and variables in the calculations
- Addresses the benefits via multiple evaluation schemes (CO2, energy consumed, etc.)
- Complete the evaluations and comparisons in the format of “cradle to cradle” as is possible.
- The calculation methods, and any numerical values used therein, should be transparently documented with open published references provided
The IGS may use this product to support IGS training courses, lectures and other educational programs.
The requested proposal is for software that is less product-specific/commercial and more focused on identifying, demonstrating, and measuring generic environmental and sustainability benefits.
RFP RESPONSES: WHAT TO INCLUDE
Submissions shall include an outline of the work proposed, schedules detailing when and where this work will occur, a list of the deliverables/outcomes of the work product, when and how will these deliverables will be tracked and reported, and pricing. It is expected that this work will be completed in segments, which should be identified in the proposal.
The IGS may award the sustainability benefit calculator project to one of more proposers.
Read the full RFP text:
Submissions must be supplied no later than 30 September 2022 to receive full consideration.