This article has been UPDATED (12 March 2020) to reflect the event’s new dates.
The organizers of GeoU 2020’s reinforcement course have announced the additions of Dr. Jorge Zornberg, P.E. (University of Texas at Austin), Dr. Erol Tutumluer (University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign), and Ashley MacMillan, P.E. (TenCate Geosynthetics) to the instructors for “Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil Structure Design and Construction: Slopes, Walls and Roads.” They join Michael Bernardi, P.E. (Strata Systems) in delivering what is sure to be one of the most talked about and impactful learning events of the year.
“This reinforcement course provides an integrated view of the multiple applications of geosynthetics,” writes Dr. Zornberg. “This includes the mechanisms involved in the different reinforcement and stabilization applications, the identification of relevant properties, the available design methodologies, and case histories involving the use of geosynthetics in these sectors.”
Seats for the reinforcement course are limited.
REINFORCEMENT COURSE PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
November 16 – Meet the Teachers Reception (5:00 – 7:00 pm)
November 17 – Full Course Day 1 (8:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Types of reinforced structures
- Importance and impact of soil properties
- Relevant geosynthetics
- Facing materials
- GRSS design methods and codes
- Internal stability analysis (detailed)
- Hand calculations
- Software demos
- Drainage design considerations
November 18 – Full Course Day 2 (8:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Structural capacity of pavements
- Overview of geosynthetic applications in pavements
- Retardation of reflective cracking
- Reduction of subgrade soil intermixing
- Stabilization of bases and subgrades
- Mitigation of environmental loads
- Enhancing drainage in roadways and affiliated reinforced systems
November 19 – Certification Exam, Optional (8:00 am – 12:00 pm)
CERTIFICATION OPPORTUNITY INCLUDED
All reinforcement course participants are welcomed to take a certification exam on the morning of November 19. The exam is included with reinforcement course registration.