The long-running Geosynthetics Conference from IFAI and the Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA) was able to hold its event in person in 2020, with its early-year position. But in 2021, organizers have had to make the same difficult decision that all other events have had to under Covid: Move the event on the calendar? Go virtual? Cancel?
Fortunately for the geosynthetics community, the conference is taking place, with the organizers having invested in the creation of a strong, online program. They have done a top-tier job of balancing live and on-demand content, thus giving participants the best of what they know and access to all-new resources (e.g., the on-demand technical paper library).
Geosynthetics Virtual Conference 2021 takes place 22 – 25 February 2021. There is still time to register!
GEOSYNTHETICS VIRTUAL CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS
Here are some of the things generating conversation around the conference:
- More than 40 PDHs are in play
- The Geosynthetics Virtual Conference is co-located online with the IECA Annual Conference and Exhibition
- The keynote address from Mt. Everest avalanche survivor Jim Davidson underscores multiple topics on the minds of the engineering field: resilience in the face of challenge, environmental change, and geohazards
- The title of Dr. Jie Han’s Koerner Lecture (“Geosynthetic-reinforced column-supported embankments: Bridging theory and practice”) inspires memories of one of Dr. JP Giroud’s great addresses on moving from state-of-the-art to state-of-practice. Dr. Han’s perspective on here will be essential listening.
- February 22 offers 6 half-day short courses and a huge on-demand, curated session list. The latter option is one of the more unique formats we’ve seen with virtual conferences.
- Numerous special sessions have been organized by outside parterns, such as the Geosynthetic Institute (GSI), the Association of Mechnically Stability Earth (AMSE), the Fabricated Geomembrane Institute (FGI), and ASTM Committee D35 on Geosynthetics
- The panel discussion program encourages strong interaction with the online audience, and the topics do not shy from drawing interest. Climate change, women in engineering, the search for stronger specifications, and much more are included. Give the panel discussion list a look.
- Some of the biggest names in the field are taking part in a product showcase forum
- The virtual trade show gives attendees an option to interact directly with exhibitors and sponsors through video exchange
Geosynthetica is proud to be a media partner to Geosynthetics Virtual Conference 2021. We invite our readers to visit the conference website and register!
Want free access to the trade show or 10% off on registration? Our friends at TRI Environmental have posted special registration codes for Geosynthetics Virtual Conference 2021 on its LinkedIn page.